The Norris Family

The Norris Family

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Peanut Allergy

If you remember last week I wrote that William had some sort of allergic reaction that necessitated him being tested for common allergies. We thought that the test may come back to show an allergy to egg. Imagine my surprise to find out that he isn't allergic to eggs, but has a peanut allergy. The allergy is mild and we'll test him again at ages 2 & 3 and hopefully we'll find that he's outgrown the allergy.

After doing some research last night, I'm overwhelmed by all the products that do/could contain peanuts/peanut products...it's almost everything! If anyone has been through this with a child, I'd love some advice and guidance on how to change our lifestyle to accommodate this allergy. How do you keep your kids safe? Do you have an epi pen? I need a recipe for cupcakes...or to know what bakery to order from that doesn't use any peanut products. I know that ice cream is off-limits now, but what about frozen yogurt? Is Chick-Fil-A now a thing of the past (they cook in peanut oil)? Are there any "must have" books that I should get? I've found about 6 websites last night, but are there some that have better info than others? I'm completely overwhelmed and need practical guidance.

Anyone that wants to join us in praying that William will outgrow this allergy is much appreciated.

Thanks

2 comments:

Hannah and Randy said...

matt & katie's son seth has a severe milk allergy, but i don't know anyone with a peanut allergy! i know they have to be extremely careful with what he eats & drinks, and they do have an epi-pen.

Anonymous said...

Jeff and I could offer lots of advice on this topic....we have lived this lifestyle for 5 years now with John..Give me a call sometime and I will be glad to console/consult/calm you...Take care...Leslie